We know how stressful adjusting to a new home can be – not just for your two-legged family members, but for your four-legged ones, too! Help make your pets feel a little more at home in your new place with these helpful tips.
- Pet proof your house. Did you know that certain plants and food can be toxic to pets? Common household items like cleaning products and medications can also pose a threat. Especially in a new environment, curious pets can get into household hazards. Be sure to store these in areas that are inaccessible to your furry friends.
- Make sure your pet has proper identification. In addition to standard collars that may come off or get lost, consider getting your pets microchipped. The permanent ID option is as easy and as painless as a vaccination, and greatly increases your chances of reuniting with a lost pet. If Fido is already microchipped, be sure to update the microchip database with your new address information.
- Keep your schedule consistent. Pets are creatures of habit, so maintaining your regular routine will help to make things feel a little more normal. Sticking to your usual times for walks, meals, cuddle time and bed time can help your best friend adjust.
- Be loving and patient. The best way to make pets feel comfortable in a new home is to associate positive experiences with it. Remember to be patient with them and give them lots of affection and treats, and you will have plenty of new, happy memories in no time. You can also take advantage of calming pet products like pheromone diffusers and collars, thundershirts and composure treats to help Fluffy feel at ease.
- Get to know your veterinarian. Bringing your pets to the veterinarian for a routine exam is the smartest and easiest way to keep them healthy. Call us at (919) 847-1972 so we can schedule a visit to get to know you and your pets!